Alcohol Soaking

Welcome to my blog on alcohol assisted drying of wood. The intent is to provide an avenue for information sharing about the process. Much time has been spent answering individual emails from around the world and countless questions on many woodworking forums. As time permits I will share information about current pieces I am drying as well as the final outcome in the form of pictures of finished pieces.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Order your shirts before they are gone.

There are only a few alcohol soaking shirts left. At the present I do not plan to order more shirts unless there are a large number of requests. The shirts are $14.95 plus $4.50 shipping and handling to United States addresses. You can order the shirts here.

As of Saturday evening November 4th the remaining number of shirts:

Time is Fine
6 - Large
2 - Medium

Don't Turn
1 - Extra Large
4 - Large
3 - Medium

Shirt sales have been the main source of financial support to offset the cost of testing and perfecting the alcohol drying protocol. I continue to refine the process and disseminate information as time permits. Thanks to all the people who purchased shirts and supported my efforts.

Several people have suggested I produce a video on the alcohol drying process. At this time I have not been convinced that sales of a video would yield enough return to justify the cost. Please take the time to email me your thoughs on the issue.


  • At 6:09 AM, January 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well done on your " Metho curing " (as its know in Australia )your blog was very informative and i took a copy of the pasific weight scale ,i just chucked a heap of "Jarra" burl slabs (1/2 inch to 3/4 ) tonight for the first time ,i was going to try sticking the end grain of a "Mahogany" blank in a plastic bag full of metho ( DDA) seal around the eadges and let the meths "wick" through the blank ( ends not sealed ) and see how badly it checks . thank you for your time to right all this stuff up "cheers"
    by the way , i found your URL surching

  • At 5:46 PM, August 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm trying your method for drying green bowls using denatured alcohol. The bowl is 15" dia. and 1/2" thick. It's Hackberry with some spalting. I'll post some photos and your process to keep you informed. It took two gallons using your suggested method, making a "nest" for the bowl from shavings and using a drum liner plastic bag to contain the liquid.


Post a Comment

<< Home