Alcohol Soaking

Welcome to my blog on alcohol assisted drying of wood. The intent is to provide an avenue for information sharing about the process. Much time has been spent answering individual emails from around the world and countless questions on many woodworking forums. As time permits I will share information about current pieces I am drying as well as the final outcome in the form of pictures of finished pieces.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Presentation at SWAT

I will be a demonstrator at SouthWest Association of Turners(SWAT) symposium October 5-7, 2007 in Wichita Falls, Texas. The presentation will be on drying turned pieces using the alcohol drying protocol I developed.

At the present time there are two sessions scheduled.

Key points

• Development of the alcohol drying protocol
• Methanol and ethanol health and safety
• Understanding Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
• Alcohol drying protocol
• Determining alcohol concentration in a solution
• Removing water from used soaking solution

Attendees will learn

• Alcohol soaking protocol theory
• Difference between methanol and ethanol health threat
• How to process a roughed turned bowl
• Determining when a roughed turned bowl is dry
• What a MSDS is for and how to decipher it
• How to determine alcohol concentration

See you at SWAT.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:03 PM, November 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    David,
    I enjoyed your presentation at SWAT. Since we talked about using a home water distillation unit to distill the alcohol I looked around the local flea markets and found something I think will work better. For $10 I was able to buy a cowboy hat steamer (yes, only in Texas). This unit has a 1 gallon stainless steel vessel and electric heating element that is controlled by two thermal switches. One switch (warm setting) is set for 180 degrees and the (steam setting) is at 220 degrees. This gives the ability to boil off the alcohol at 180 degrees and not the water.
    I am working on a condencer that will use part of an air conditioner condencer and a small blower. I will let you know how it comes out.
    Glynn

     
  • At 7:12 PM, October 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI everyone this is tomcruise from Alaska. I have joined this forum recently, using a home water distillation unit to distill the alcohol I looked around the local flea markets and found something I think will work better.
    ===================
    tomcruise

    Alcohol Rehab

     
  • At 9:03 AM, November 26, 2010, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hello,
    I design jewelry in wax, and I am interested in locating pure solvent alcohol for heating the instruments I use. I have not had much luck finding it lately. I have only been able to find denatured alcohol. Unfortunately, this type of alcohol emits a strong odor and smoke and leaves an oily residue. I was wondering if you have an idea of where I could locate the pure solvent alcohol. I would appreciate any information you can provide me. By the way, I live in Houston, Texas.
    Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home